Advertising is the name of the game when it comes to monetization and getting users to pay for installs of your program. We know it can be tough to find monetization solutions in a saturated software market: users don’t want to pay for apps any more, they have short attention spans, and you’re playing in a competitive playing field.
Getting users to pay for installing your program is one of the most common monetization strategies, but it doesn’t necessarily mean you have to charge them for your product. That can be a challenge, for all but the most highly positioned companies and publishers. Instead, using a pay-per-install (PPI) system, such as a smart installer with ads lets you earn revenue each time users install your product.
Benefits of Pay-Per-Install
A PPI setup doesn’t actually mean that your users pay to install your app, but you do earn money. When you sign up with the right PPI program and advertisers, your customers are shown a select ad or set of ads during installation. And you earn money. And that’s it! The best PPI networks also help you increase the number of downloads by increasing your exposure.
How Pay-Per-Install Networks Work
The system is simple. When you want to earn money, you show your users ads during the install. When users install an advertiser’s program, you get paid for that install. And when you want to increase your downloads and exposure, you advertise through the PPI network. Each time your app or program is downloaded, you pay a commission.
Pay-per-install networks come in many flavors, so make sure you do your research before signing up. Reputation is a key factor. If they don’t have a reputation at all, but make big promises, then be doubtful. In the past, some PPI networks were used to distribute malware, and this practice still continues today. But the most reputable PPI networks deliver value to both you and your customers.
How to Use PPI Networks to Your Advantage
PPI networks put your app inside app stores and networks’ tracking systems. The more often your app is downloaded and successfully installed, the more appealing your software will be to customers, other advertisers, and the marketplace as a whole. This is yet another reason to choose the right network: a bad network can hurt or slow the growth of your reputation.
A good network is a good investment, and can create returns in dividends. But you can’t set and forget. The more you put in to your monetization strategy, the more you get out of it. Here are a few tips on advertising and making the most of a PPI network.
- Promote to get promoted. Yes, paying for others to download your products is an investment, but the more you invest, the higher return you will see down the road. Promoting your own app increases your exposure to customers and peers who can help you grow. Hustle to get your product under the nose of your target audience, and you’ll start to see more people advertising and downloading your product.
- Don’t try to get rich quick. The worst thing you can do is buy a silver bullet. Getting rich quick doesn’t work, and if you try to take shortcuts or promote shoddy work, you’ll only pay for it in the end. Design a high quality, useful, fun product, and users will thank you for it. A proper advertising campaign requires a long-term investment and, yes, it does require legwork. But when you do it right, you can use it to get your users to pay for installing your software.
- Don’t rely solely on the PPI network. A PPI network is one of the best ways to monetize downloads and get users to pay for installs, but there’s no such thing as a cure-all. When you use a PPI network right, it can be one of the most valuable weapons in your advertising arsenal, so use it in conjunction with your other marketing tools. Never stop networking and promoting yourself, your software, and your business. When used right, a PPI setup will make your marketing efforts that much easier.
- Do innovate. A PPI system offers many tools, including customizable installers and extensive analytics and reporting. Make sure that you research every tool that your PPI network offers, and test each and every one. Always remember that everyone’s innovating these days, so keeping up with the curve will require some creativity. And don’t be afraid to ask questions. Your PPI network is there to serve you. The more you grow, the more they grow. Everyone benefits from your success.
- Don’t wait. If you’ve done your research into PPI networks and have been thinking about signing up for one, remember this: with the right network, there’s nothing to lose. You can grab an installer, throw your software on board, and start making money from your first install.