Anyone who knows how to code can earn money, but programming and monetizing are two different skill sets. Monetizing your code isn’t rocket science, it just takes a little bit of practice. In fact, you don’t even have to be a genius programmer, you just need to know which code sells, how to create the right product, and who to sell to.
To simplify the process of code monetization, we’ve broken down the process into three simple steps:
Know Your Code…The Right Code
Code, or programming, has been around for a very long time. The earliest proto-code, developed in the form of punch cards, came about in the late 1800s. Some, however, trace programming tendencies back even further. As computer technology advanced in the 1900s, more and more programming languages were born.
Today, there are so many that it is impossible for any one person to know all programming languages, so which one or ones should you focus on?
Fortunately, all you need is a little code in order to make money. If you’re a developer, you’ll want to focus on the types of languages that let you develop apps you can monetize through advertising or other monetization strategies.
- HTML and CSS – HTML and CSS aren’t really programming languages, but they create the look and feel of the internet that we see every day. These two are easy enough for non-programmers to learn, but essential if you want to become a coder.
- PHP – PHP is another common language that helps run the internet. It is used to generate web pages on the fly, by working with databases to retrieve data, write HTML when people visit a web page, and so forth.
- C/C++ – While the above languages are used heavily on websites and in apps, C++ is a general purpose language that is used to create programs that are more “heavy duty.”
Creating and Selling the Right Product
You’re free to design and develop any app you want, but if you want to make money, you’ll have to create one that people want to download and use. It’s not necessary to try and sell an app, of course, since there are plenty of other ways to monetize code. But you do need something that people value.
There are a few essential requirements for designing a product that lots of people will use and download:
- Pick a niche or industry that suits your style and will generate income. If you are passionate about a particular subject, make sure that others are too. Otherwise, no one will download and use your app. Your target audience may be either businesses or consumers, but the key is developing an app that people will download and use.
- Choose the right code for your niche and product. Typical developers know several languages. Make sure that you know your target industry, understand how it is evolving, and study the right languages to meet the needs of that industry.
- Understand your audience. Find out who they are, where they are online, what they want, and what their problems are. Apps that solve real problems in the real world are those that earn reliable, stable income.
- Pick your monetization solution. There are lots of ways to monetize software. Choose a method that suits your business goals, your app design, and your audience needs. The more seamlessly you integrate your monetization method with your app, the better the user’s experience will be.
- Create a marketing plan. Getting the word out is the next big hurdle, since you can’t earn money without users. There are a million ways to promote your product, from advertising to guest blogging and social media, so make sure you do your research and find out which marketing approach suits your business needs.
It’s Not About the Code, It’s About the Product
Don’t worry about coding your own monetization solution…the biggest challenge is creating high-value, high-traffic apps. Other companies work hard to develop monetization solutions that you can integrate into an app quickly and easily.
CodeFuel’s monetization platform, for instance, offers developers a quick and easy way to start making money from their apps. Simply by embedding some code into the app, it’s possible to start making money the very same day.
All you need is a great app and traffic.