When you shop online you want to find quickly what you are looking for and fast checkout, right? Users want eCommerce websites to be attractive, functional, and easy to use. Your website’s success depends not only on what you offer and how well you market the site but mainly on what features the website offers to the user.
The internet is full of useful solutions that promise to increase traffic and boost conversions. A quick search can show hundreds of tutorials about how to turn your website into an Internet success. What features and solutions are essential for a successful eCommerce website? Let’s explore.
What Makes a Successful eCommerce Site?
In a world with over 47 billion websites and with the average conversion rate between 2-3%, you need to stand out to get people to opt-in, engage and buy. These tips and solutions can help you increase your conversion rates and lead your e-commerce to success.
#1: Optimize your Website for Fast Loading Time
Just two seconds.
That’s the time the average Internet user will wait for your website to load. In this age of instant gratification, if your website takes longer to load, 53% of customers will continue on to other sites. There are a few actions you can take to ensure your website’s loading speed is in shape.
- Figure out your baseline speed – you can use GMetrix, Google Page Speed Insights or another speed checker. Make sure you check both your mobile and desktop speeds.
- Use a high performing hosting plan – if your host is offering several plans, check that you are using the high performing version. It may cost more, but it pays off in the long run with increased conversions.
- Optimize images – large or heavy images can slow your website speed. You can compress your images by resizing, cropping or changing the format. If you are not the DIY type, you can opt for using an optimizer tool. A quick search can offer you both free and paid options.
#2: Track and Optimize Performance
You can’t improve what you cannot measure, so the saying goes. You need to know about your website traffic with real-time data to optimize it.
#3: Don’t forget SEO and CRO
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) optimizes the content so search engines can get your site ranked higher in Search Engines Result Pages (SERPs). Conversion Rate Optimization (CRO) optimizes content for users to get them to complete the call-to-action.
You would want to use them together to increase both traffic and conversions. But optimizing your content for both SEO and CRO is not that easy. Search engines algorithms focus on three key factors to determine page rank:
- keywords and on-page SEO
- content quality
- usage data
Not only you need to improve your SEO to get visitors to your site, but make sure the on-page copy is built for conversion. There are a lot of free and paid tools to check if your website’s copy and content are on target, many of them with free trial periods.
Give Quality Content and Strong Copy
A strong copy increases conversions by addressing the user query, driving action, and building relationships with the customers. But first, you need to attract the visitor’s attention to read your content. According to an eye-tracking study, most people don’t read every word of a page, instead, they scan for the most interesting content first.
#4: Give Your Customers What They’re Looking For, and Quickly
Visitors tend to leave a site if it takes too long to find what they’re looking for. Here are a few ways you can help your customers in their search:
Manage the product categories
Customers looking for a product search based on keywords. That’s why it is important to tag products in a way they can fit into multiple subcategories. For example, if someone is looking for a “wireless headset” but you only have it listed as “gaming headset”, the visitor can understand you don’t carry the product and leave.
Managing your products categories can help them find what they are looking for right away. Every e-commerce site builder and platform has different product taxonomy processes, so make sure to check yours.
Optimize your search and recommendations
You can help users find the product they are searching for by optimizing your site search and recommendations. Changes in design can attract visitors to your search functions. Here are some recommendations:
- Make your search box scroll as the visitor scrolls down
- Add a call-to-action text to your search box
- Use autocomplete and offer suggestions
- Add a “you may also like” features. This ensures your customer always gets value from your site.
Use Product Ads and Leverage Intent
You can add product shopping ads like ShoppingFuel to further aid potential customers to search and find you.
Product shopping ads appear following a user search query at the top of the search engine result pages. Therefore, using product ads you can drive more traffic to your website, and help boost your ranking while drawing the attention of high-intent buyers.
#5: Focus on the User Experience
Visitors tend to stay and return to sites that provide a great customer experience. There are a few tips to make your customer journey a smooth ride from landing page to check out:
- Smooth navigation – ensure your interface is user friendly. The rule of thumb is: simpler, the better. Provide an easy-to-find menu with very few steps to checkout.
- Eliminate checkout barriers – accepting multiple payment options and don’t require every customer to register to buy. Sometimes all a customer wants is to buy a T-shirt.
- Go after abandoned carts– if a customer doesn’t complete a purchase, you need to know why and how to fix it. A
#6: Go mobile
These days a mobile-first or a mobile-friendly site is a must have for any eCommerce business. Customers make half of their online purchases from their phones. So, ensure your website is fully responsive, following the same standards of user experience and easy checkout that your desktop version. And, since search engine algorithms are prioritizing mobile-first sites, having a mobile-friendly site also helps with page ranking.
What Are the Essential Solutions for an E-Commerce Website?
In summary, the essential solutions for a successful website are the ones that help your eCommerce site serve customers faster and better by:
- Loading faster
- Giving quick and accurate query results- giving value and transforming searchers into buyers.
- Provide a smooth customer journey – including simplifying the checkout.
- Track and optimize performance
Solutions such as CodeFuel’s ShoppingFuel and SearchFuel, provide value to your potential buyers, increasing conversion, and retention. And a happy visitor is a loyal customer. Contact us to learn how we can help.